《每日英語》電子報總第575期-01.20
 

   《每日英語》

主辦:中國英語學習網  2009-01-20 
【總第575期】
 ::每日一詞:: 
 

wilt  (vi.) 枯萎,凋謝

stump  (n.) 殘干,根株

<點擊收聽>

Most flowers wilt after a week or so, even in water.
即使是在水里,大部分的花一星期左右后即會凋謝。

The trees were gone, with only a few stumps to show they were there.
樹都不見了,只剩下一些殘干,表示他們曾經存在。

 
 ::每日一句:: 


Wrong,but you almost got it.Guess again.

錯,不過幾乎猜對了。再猜一次。

You almost got it再有一點就成功了。例:But you almost got it.I think you can win this year.只差一點你就成功了,我相信你今年會獲勝的!

 
 ::每日對話:: 

 <點擊收聽>

After the girls fought for the bouquet
Yi-jun: You didn't tell me that would get violent. The bouquet came right to me.
Holly: Yeah, until Cath's cousin tackled you, ha ha. Some people take it very seriously.
Yi-jun: I guess so. Where are all the guys going?
Holly: This is the wrap up of the reception. Rich takes off Cath's garter and throws it.
Yi-jun: Same as with the bouquet? Are the guys as violent?
Holly: [Laughing] Not! Watch. It'll almost be like they're running away from it if it comes to them.

(續上期)

女生搶完捧花后
怡君:你沒告訴我那會很暴力。那捧花直沖著我來。
荷莉:對呀,直到卡西的表姊把你撲倒為止,哈哈。有些人可是相當認真的。
怡君:我猜也是。那些男生要去哪?
荷莉:這是喜宴的尾聲。李奇會脫掉卡西的吊襪帶,然后丟出去。
怡君:就跟捧花一樣?那些男的會一樣暴力嗎?
荷莉:(笑)不會!看著吧。如果東西朝他們來,他們簡直是躲的躲,逃的逃。



重點解說:

1、 violent (a.) 暴力的
2、 tackle (v.) 擒抱并摔倒對方
3、 wrap up 完成(某事)
4、 garter (n.) 吊襪帶
5、 run away 逃跑

 
 
 ::每日一譯:: 

1.8月30日人民幣與美元的匯率再創新高。

2.他的父親每星期給他一百元作為零用錢。

3.今年這個商店自行車銷售量是1949年的225倍.

4.那架電子顯微鏡可以把物體放大一百萬倍.

5.今天美元與人民幣的匯率是:一百美元等于人民幣796元5角3分。

6.Obeying to the direction of the Party, serving the people, and being brave and good at fighting.(英譯漢)

昨日參考:

1. Nobody who/that watched the match will ever forget it.

2. How did you turn your ideals into reality under adverse circumstances?
How did you realize your ideals under adverse circumstances?
How did you ideals come true under adverse circumstances?

3. Thank you for contribution to China’s flourishing and prosperity.

4. The success of one’s career requires that he should first have lofty ideals and firm beliefs.
The first requirement for one to succeed in his career is that he should have lofty ideals and firm beliefs.
The first requirement for one’s success in his carrer is his lofty ideals and firm beliefs.
One’s success in his career lies first in his lofty ideals and firm beliefs.

5. In this village, the school attendance rate for school-age children in 1953 was only twenty-four point five percent . It increased /rose sixty-eight point four pecent in 1965.And it reached as high as ninety-eight point nine percent in 1989.

6.The Chinese government implements a family planning policy in the light of the Constitution, with the aim of promoting economic and social development, raising people's living standards, enhancing the quality of its population and safeguarding the people's rights to enjoy a better life. (英譯漢)
中國政府根據憲法的規定推行計劃生育,以促進經濟和社會的發展,提高人民的生活水平,提高人口素質,維護人民享受更好的生活的權利。



翻譯沒有標準答案,我們所給的都是參考答案,比如說很多動詞都可以用一些同義詞或者是詞組來代替.這些都是要靠我們平時自己不斷的積累.


昨日重溫:查看上期內容

中國英語學習網每日英語頻道新增每日一譯版塊,我們每天為你提供一些中文句子,試著把它翻譯成英文,讓我們共同提高,成為口譯高手!!(我們會在明天的每日英語中公布今天的句子的參考答案)

 
 ::每日一圖:: 

Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park, 2007

A common goldeneye duck paddles past a snowy bank—and toward the reflection of a gnarled tree stump—in Lake McDonald, part of Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park.

For 75 years the combined 1.14 million acres (0.6 million hectares) of Canada's Waterton Lakes National Park and the U.S.'s Glacier National Park have been designated, and jointly managed, as a transboundary conservation area—the world's first international peace park.

 
 ::每日一文:: 

 <點擊收聽>

President Bush Bids Farewell to the Nation
布什告別演說回顧過去展望未來

U.S. President George Bush delivered his farewell address to the nation Thursday night. Mr. Bush used the occasion to reflect on the past and look toward the future.

 

美國總統布什星期四晚上向全國發表告別演說,利用這個機會回顧過去,展望未來。

This has been a week of "lasts" for President Bush - the last press conference, the last cabinet meeting, and the last broadcast speech to the nation.

 

對布什總統來說,這個星期有許多的“最后一次”-- 最后一次記者會,最后一次內閣會議,還有最后一次向全國發表廣播講話。

"Tonight, with a thankful heart, I have asked for a final opportunity to share some thoughts on the journey we have traveled together and the future of our nation," he said.

 

布什說:“今晚,懷著一顆感恩的心,我要用這最后一次機會,和大家一起回顧我們走過的路程,并展望我們國家的未來。”

He reflected on his first national address from the White House, a speech to a country reeling in shock, grief and anger from the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

 

布什談到他在白宮向全國發表的第一次講話,那是2001年9-11恐怖襲擊之后向一個沉浸在震驚、悲傷和憤怒中的國家發表的講話。

"As the years passed, many Americans were able to return to life much as it had been before 9/11," he said. "But I never did."

 

布什說:“隨著歲月的流逝,許多美國人得以基本恢復到9-11之前的生活。但是我一直沒能這樣做。”

Once again, as he has often done during his final days in office, the president defended his record and was nostalgic. "There are things I would do differently if given the chance. Yet I have always acted with the best interests of our country in mind," he said.

 

和他在總統任期最后這些日子里經常做的一樣,布什再次為自己的記錄辯護,并表現出對白宮歲月的留戀。他說:“如果有機會,我會以不同的方式處理一些問題。但是,我一直是把國家的最高利益放在心里的。”

Most recent past presidents, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton, chose to deliver a farewell address from the Oval Office. But President Bush opted to speak from the East Room of the White House Thursday night, in front of an audience that included members of the military, firefighters and educators whose stories he said touched him during his eight years in office.

"In citizens like these, we see the best of our country - resilient and hopeful, caring and strong," he said.

With only five days left until Inauguration Day, Mr. Bush reflected on the peaceful transfer of power that will occur when Barack Obama takes the oath of office and becomes the first African American President of the United States.

 

現在距新總統宣誓就職還有5天,布什談到,當奧巴馬宣誓就任為美國第一位黑人總統時,人們將看到權力的和平交接。

"Standing on the steps of the Capitol will be a man whose story reflects the enduring promise of our land. This is a moment of hope and pride for our nation," he said.

 

他說:“站在國會山臺階上的這個人,他的故事折射出我們國家持久的希望。這將是我們國家一個充滿希望和驕傲的時刻。”

In recent days, the president has said he is ready to return to Texas and life as a private citizen. But aides say they detect a bit of wistfulness in his voice.

 

最近,布什總統表示,他已經準備好,回到德克薩斯州,開始一個普通公民的生活。不過,他的助手們說,他們察覺到布什的語氣中有一絲失落感。

Ken Walsh, the veteran White House correspondent for U.S. News and World Report magazine, says there is certain poignancy when a president prepares to leave the spotlight.

 

肯·沃爾什是“美國新聞與世界報導”雜志駐白宮資深記者。他認為,當一位總統準備淡出公眾的視線時,總會對一些問題難以釋懷。

"And there is always a sense of not only 'what I could have done as president," but also, a sense of 'am I being given the credit for what I did? Am I being treated too negatively,'" he said.

 

沃爾什說:“除了‘作為總統,我還可能怎樣做’之外,還會有一種感覺,就是‘我的努力都得到承認了嗎?人們對我是不是負面評價太多了?’”

The speech was the president's last public event until next Tuesday - when he welcomes Barack Obama to the White House and the two travel to Capitol Hill for the inauguration of the 44th President of the United States.

 

星期四的講話是下星期二之前布什總統最后一次公開活動。下星期二,布什總統將歡迎奧巴馬入主白宮,然后兩人一起到國會山,參加美國第44任總統的就職儀式。

 
 ::每日一曲:: 

 <點擊收聽>

To Be By Your Side與你相伴

歌曲相關信息介紹:

法國專題片《鳥的遷徙》(le peuple migrateur)主題曲。影片的第一句話是:候鳥的故事就是承諾的故事。
《遷徙的鳥》開篇是就是這首澳洲音樂鬼才NickCave貢獻的一首溫暖而略帶感傷的情歌,其間以NewAge手法混入鳥群展翅的原始自然之音,未加修飾卻與鋼琴之聲渾然一體。之后還有由藝術搖滾大師RobertWyatt帶來的大氣而凝重的“大地的主人”,其后的器樂作品中,制作人Bruno時而以北歐民歌清亮悠遠的氣質加深候鳥們歸來的優雅意象,時而以緊張的管弦樂合奏描繪迷途于工業污染煙霧中的候鳥們,進而用福音合唱贊頌鳥類飛越海洋荒漠,森林河流,冰川山谷的壯麗景象。所有這些絕美的和諧音符都無不表現出對神秘大自然造物主的溫情與崇敬。

Nick Cave——前澳大利亞著名狂躁后朋克樂隊The Birthday Party的靈魂人物。Nick現在以個人身份進行創作,寫出了許多唯美動人的歌。返樸歸真。


Across the oceans Across the seas,
飛越過那山 飛越過那海
over forests of blackened trees
穿過了那茂密無際的樹海
Through valleys so still we dare not breathe,
掠過那令人窒息的山谷啊
to be by your side
我為你而來
Over the shifting desert plains,
穿越過那莫測的沙漠
across mountains all in flames
越過那壯麗的山脈
Through howling winds and driving rains,
穿過狂風和驟雨
to be by your side
我為你而來
Every mile and every year,
每一里路啊 每一年
for every one a little tear
每個人的淚光點點
I cannot explain this, dear, I will not even try
我解釋不了,哦,也不想流連
Into the night as the stars collide
在那繁星交織的黑夜
Across the borders that divide forests of stone standing petrified
穿越那高聳的混凝土森林的邊緣
To be by your side
就是為了來到你的身邊
Every mile and every year,
每一里路啊 每一年
for every one a single tear
每個人的淚光點點
I cannot explain this, I will not even try
我解釋不了,也不想
For I know one thing,
我堅信著一件事

love comes on a wing
翅膀能將愛送到面前
For tonight I will be by your side
今夜,我將守候在你身邊
But tomorrow I will fly
可是,明日我又將飛遠
From the deepest ocean to the highest peak
從深深的海洋到那高山之巔
Through the frontiers of your sleep
穿過你夢的邊緣
Into the valley where we dare not speak,
來到那令人屏息的山谷間
to be by your side
就是為了陪伴在你身邊
Across the endless wilderness where all the beasts bow down their heads
飛越了那一望無際令牛羊卻步的荒野
Darling I will never rest till I am by your side
親愛的,我永不停息,就是為了陪伴在你的身邊
Every mile and every year, time and distance disappear I cannot explain this
每一里路啊 每一年,光陰失水流年,我卻不能解釋這一切
Dear No,
親愛的,別…
I will not even try
我不想流連
And I know just one thing,
我只堅信這一件事
love comes on a wing and tonight I will be by your side
翅膀能將愛送到面前 而今夜 我將陪伴在你的身邊
But tomorrow I will fly away
但 到了明天 我又將飛遠
Love rises with the day and tonight I may be by your side
這愛與日俱增 我愿能陪伴在你的身邊
But tomorrow I will fly,
到了明天我又將飛遠
tomorrow I will fly,
明天我將飛遠
tomorrow I will fly... ...

明天我將飛遠


每日英語:每日一小時,輕松學英語!
主頁:http://www.ovyvy.com.cn
《每日英語》每周一至周五出版